Sunday, March 30, 2014

Answer to the Hand Grips Q and Others

At least regarding my own “fitness goals” for a spell.

The Surgeon who did my heart surgery last summer wants me to work up to:
3 sets of 15 reps each, every other day
  • Hand grips, mentioned in the last post here 
  • And Weight lifting Curls in four directions 
 Always pushing to do a bit more reps, and increasing weight as possible.

Why this Resistance and Weight Lifting Regime

This is in an effort to force the body, particularly my right arm, to create new arteries, blood vessels, around its main artery.

That artery seems to have healed, mostly closed, (My layman’s view of the pictures from tests, Sonogram types).

What I have done so far

I have tried using my Total Gym’s Arm exercises, which is going well so far.
However:
  • I would rather do my best to duplicate exactly what the surgeon told me to do
  • Even so, my weight lifting, ( who has studied and used free weights, and I have never done this), friend says the ones I am doing on the Total Gym are working the same muscles! 
  • Also, as the only place I can keep this set up is our attic room
  • I can use, (borrowing her), free weights to use down stairs and / or outside come summer
  • I am aiming to return to using my Total Gym for Ab, Leg and add in Core, Back and Chest exercises, until it is too hot in the attic
  • Using my friends free weights to do the curls the surgeon wants me to do 
Seems like a great way to avoid surgery so this is what I will be working on in months to come!

I am just thrilled one can do this to, even perhaps, avoid surgery to correct a complication of a previous heart surgery.

I think this is fantastic and will post the results of returning to the Total Gym workouts for all but that, and the results of the curls and hand grips exercises here.

Best wishes!

3/30/14
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment