Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Small Stuff, a pre-Breakfast Snack

Or the little / big stuff. Breakfast, the first frontier in lots of our days. Such an important meal, many of us, I am told, can not even stomach.

Getting up early, as I call it, between 2 and 4AM and walking the dog after he eventually gets up is one thing. Going out into below freezing weather, before breakfast, turned out to be another…

When I say Breakfast, I am talking about something I can eat quietly, without doing anything to speak of in the kitchen, in the wee hours of the morning.

Isn’t that just the sort of thing most people need at some point during their day? A nutritious, sustaining, (as in, not hungry a half hour later), bite to eat.

I spent months trying to get this right.

What I got right is:

Below freezing, a corn, or bran, (these things, when store brought, tend to be fatty all on their own), with a smear of butter will get me through an hour walk. Maybe I’ll have another between 6 and 9AM too.

Above freezing, as store brought muffin needs no butter, but you are aware of how much fat it has, and if there is heart disease in your family, or perhaps because loosing more even more inches seems nice…

The search for the sustaining, easy snack for breakfast continues!

I hoped Full Bar would work, as it is described as filling. Without the meal to go with it, it does not. I bet it would with the meal though and you can try it cheaply. Just get one or two at the grocery store. Shop Rite has them! At least they do not have a lot of calories of saturated fat!

Then I tried, pecan sandies, cookies, the store brands and Keeblers. Lots of calories from fat, yet I did not gain inches.

But I felt this is not heart healthy so I tried

Ritz Crackerfuls, calories from fat, almost on a par with corn muffins….

So far, the Full Bars, Crackerfuls and of course the Pecan Sandies, all taste very nice!

But still….

Then, because it was on sale, I tried Stella Doro’s Almond Toast!

Great taste of course! A serving size is 2! The calories from fat, not so bad! 15 out of 100!!

I don’t diet but I do try to keep the fiber up and the fat down, that heart thing you know.

This week it’s peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Because I have not got to the store…
Peanut butter. Well I might just as well eat butter!

I wanted to make a peanut butter oatmeal cookie once, I added a cup of peanut butter, and did not reduce the shortening.

I got a lighter than air, nearly, pastry, which could perhaps support meringue, but certainly no part of a pie otherwise.

Anyone out there got any fast, and filling pre breakfast snack ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment